Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Transatlantic Ties over Chocolate Mocha Sorbet

I try not to get too attached to things. Things get lost, broken. They lose their lustre. I like to enjoy my life without worrying over what happens to my stuff.

I must admit, there are a couple of shiny things in AK's Kitchen that hold special value for me.

This broken antique lay sleeping in a cupboard. The Italian beauty was revived thanks to another Italian beauty, my friend and coffee afficionado Isa. (Her timeless face reminds me of actress Isabella Rossellini. But I digress.) Isa came to the rescue with a new gasket. Presto. My old coffee pot was back in business.

A few days later, Isa spotted a new coffee maker to add to my collection of oldies. She shipped it from her hometown of Bologna to my kitchen in Ottawa.


I have grown slightly attached to these metal coffee pots. Not so much for their appealing design, but for what they represent. Whenever I put them to work on my morning espresso, they remind me that an ocean away, a kindred soul is close at heart.



I had a shot of leftover espresso this morning. I put it to use in a simple chocolate mocha sorbet. My version is an adaptation of Ina Gartner's original recipe.



CHOCOLATE MOCHA SORBET
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch salt
2 cups water
1/4 cup espresso
1 1/2 tablespoon coffee liqueur (optional)


In a heavy sauce pan over low heat, mix all ingredients except liqueur.
Stir until solid ingredients are dissolved.
Turn off heat and add liqueur.


If you don't have an ice cream maker, pour the liquid into a large, shallow container.
Freeze for four hours. 
Score the sorbet with a fork to make a slush and return to the freezer for another hour.


Serves 3-4.



2 comments:

  1. Absolutely one of the easiest and best sorbet recipes ever. I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk instead of water. Why? Because it was there. Also the almond milk adds a few vitamins and a tiny bit of protein & fiber, which makes me justify eating such a fabulous, rich sorbet. I'm doing it for the vitamins! (Yeah. Right.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making a batch today with almond milk. Thanks for sharing your variation.

    ReplyDelete