Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Rev Up Your Morning with a Quickie for Breakfast

I don't have time for anything long and lingering during the week. But I do need to clear the cobwebs from my brain and rev up my metabolism first thing in the morning.

Since this blog is intended for family consumption, let's focus on the food.

My typical breakfast looks like this: a triple espresso on the right, a bowl of yogurt with honey and Energy Crunch on the left. In the cyclone in the middle, I check homework and lunches, hunt for lost mittens, referee an argument, and yell out the countdown to the bus. Not much time for a slow sit-down.

This week, my coffee has a new mate. It's a perfectly portable fast fix. An ideal breakfast for me and my gang during the morning mad scramble.

A mouthful packs a wallop of energy and nutrients. Chia seeds help sweep out the gastrointestinal tract. Sesame seeds add manganese, copper, calcium, iron and fibre. Raw cacao is high in magnesium and iron. Flax seeds add Omega3 fatty acids. All glued together with almond meal, shredded coconut, egg and honey.

The kids and I made a double batch this weekend to stock up for breakfast and snacks for the week ahead.

Mighty Macaroons
1/2 cup almond meal
2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
1 teaspoon crushed raw cacao 
1 teaspoon chia seeds
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon ground flax seeds
2 eggs
1/4 cup honey


Combine everything in a small bowl.
Using two teaspoons, form small mounds and place on lightly greased baking sheet.
Bake for 15 minutes and 350 degrees.
Yields 12 small,  Mighty Macaroons. Great for breakfast or for dunking in melted chocolate.



1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to make these but I have to. I am lacking a couple of key ingredients. I see a shopping trip to our nearest organic/health food store in the near future. Meanwhile I do have what it takes for the chocowalnut cookies. Those I will try tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete