Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Energy Crunch


Good things come in small packages. Take, for example, the minute chia seed. Smaller than a single poppy seed, it is chock full of fuel and nutrients. 

Chia Seeds
Buckwheat Groats
Chia seeds and buckwheat groats have a new place of honour in my pantry. I try to toss them into all my recipes. Here's why:  


Buckwheat groats are crunchy mini-pyramids filled with fibre, amino acids,  phosphorus, iron, zinc, copper, manganese and other minerals. While you enjoy the light nutty taste, your body will benefit from the magnesium which relaxes blood vessels, improving blood flow and the delivery of nutrients to your cells.


Those bland, black chia seeds work wonders for the body. In liquid, the protein and fibre-rich seeds form a gel which expands in size and weight. A tiny amount of chia seeds can make you feel full for a long time. As the gel slowly passes through your system, it acts as an intestinal mop containing a healthy dose of omega-3s. 


A Healthy Marriage
I married the two ingredients and threw in a few other favourites to make A-K's Energy Crunch. This blend is guaranteed to rev up your breakfast or snack. 


Energy Crunch


A-K's  Energy Crunch
2 cups chia seeds
1 cup buckwheat groats
1 cup hemp/sunflower/ pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup almonds
1/8 cup raw cacao nibs (optional)
1/4 cup dried fruit (raisins/ apples/ apricots/ dates)
2 teaspoons cinnamon


Mix all ingredients in a container with a lid.
Presto! Your own home-made functional food. 
Breakfast Fuel




If you're looking for a snack during tonight's Earth Hour, try some of AK's Energy Crunch. Add 2 tablespoons in 1/4 cup of water or milk (hot or cold). Let it sit for about 5 minutes and stir. My kids like to add maple syrup or honey. It won't look like a lot of food, but it is very satisfying. Try sprinkling the crunch on your baked goods, yogurt, eggs, soups or stews. Or, eat it straight out of the jar.
    

3 comments:

  1. Went to Westgate and bought the ingredients yesterday. Thanks Anna-Karinna! I loved it when you served it to me and just had to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although - I tried drying apples in my oven and ooops forgot about them and they were little dark dark leather strips that were unedible! Next time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I would have to buy a Chia Pet to get some seeds. When I finally found them I was so excited that I forgot the groats ......

    I'm getting there, one slow ingredient at a time. It will give me time to make yogurt though. I may even dehydrate some apples. You have me seriously inspired here!

    ReplyDelete